Summer time is a great time to be outdoors, but it can also be hazardous! Here in the Sandhills of North Carolina, the temperatures can get pretty toasty. It’s important to stay active and get exercise each day, but it also pays to be smart when out in the heat. Here are a few tips to help you stay active this summer, and also a few community events near our new home community in Legacy Lakes that you should plan on attending!
- Drink lots of water! It seems pretty intuitive but people forget just how important it is to stay hydrated.
- Stick to the shade as much as possible.
- Taper your exercise back a bit and try to avoid exercising during the hottest times of the day.
- Go for walks in the early morning or evening to avoid the heat. Try out Aberdeen Lake Park!
- Ride your bike on a shady path!
- Go swimming outside or inside to get your heart rate up without overheating.
- Do yard work or gardening activities. This gets you active and keeps your lawn looking fantastic!
- Wash your car. Get a partner to help!
- Walk around an indoor shopping mall if you’re trying to get exercise during those hours of extreme heat.
- Do indoor housework. You’ll feel a lot better knowing that you’re not only getting your chores done, but you’re also exercising!
- Lift light weights, use resistance bands, or try out yoga right in your living room.
Here are some events around Pinehurst, NC and other areas of the Sandhills to check out in August:
- Aug 3-5: US Kids Golf World Championship Pinehurst Resort
- August 12: Carolina Horse Park Derby Cross Raeford, NC
Taking a stroll through our new home community in Legacy Lakes is also a great way to stay active! If you’re looking for a new home in Aberdeen, NC, we are confident we have the right place for you. Contact us for more information today!